Tuesday, March 30, 2010

So Long, Farwell.


Well this is it. This is my last post as i say goodbye to Intro to Literary Theory, as well as to my fellow bloggers. I cant not deny I am excited for this, who doesn't love summer? Haha but i must say I am sad too. I thoroughly enjoyed this class, and this has by far been my best class I have endured so far throughout my university studies. I found it super intimidating at first, but I'm glad I was up for the challenge. I must agree with todays discussion that theory can most definatly inhibit creativity. And that critical thinking can alter, and take away from our once blinded enjoyment. However, I must argue that I would not have it any other way...

This class has taught me so much, and has made me a better student. For once, I can actually notice such a change. My writing has improved so much, but most importantly my thinking. We tackled some very challenging theories, and had to apply them rather difficultly. I am ever so grateful that for once I am walking out of a class that I feel was worth being compulsory. It is a fantastic feeling. Further more, I think with being a developed ciritcal thinker, you learn to turn the theory on and off. Yes I know if I know if I want to I can tear something up, shred it to pieces and prove a theory (Thanks Pound! :)) But i also know that if I am simply sitting down to watch or read something for enjoyment, I turn it off and do so. For example, Gossip Girl.. da da dummm... haha has to be the worst entertainment ever for its social constructions, mass ideologies, use of media etc etc the list goes on with the flaws of it. However, as a drama on TV i love it. I dont apply its themes to my own life, but i allow myself to sit there and enjoy 60 minutes of gasping in shock, and laughing in humor. I think those who only can see things through theory are lacking critical thinking and being narrow-minded. That's just my own opinion, i think it is a skillful critical thinker to turn it on and off depending on study and entertainment- if not as a skill, then to keep us human and sane from tearing apart everything in our lives.

Thanks so much for a great year everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment