Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Gay is the New Black




After discussing whether or not American's were still racist even with Obama as president, I couldn't help but think of the Tyra show I watched this past Sunday. Now, I know Tyra is not the most academic source for this type of research, however it was a very interesting episode. She had representatives on stage, one side for gays, and once side pretty much homophobic. One of the women who was against homosexuality was actually an American campaigner. It was a servely interesting debates with a lot of tears, and a lot of yelling. The idea was that gays are now the states new target for discrimmination rather than blacks. One woman actually told one of the gay men, "I was born black, you weren't born gay! You can change that, I can't". It was awful how they spoke, "representing" Americans. Futhermore when I boy told his story about his homophobic father trying to BEAT the gay out of him using the Bible, these American representives showed no emotion. They replied, that instead of being gay, they could choose abstience?!?! It was such an eye opener to how narrow minded some people really are about things they do not understand, or are different from them. I know that again, it is the Tyra Show, but I strongly suggest those who are interested to look the episode up online!!!

2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, I do not get to watch the Tyra show as often as I would like to but am glad when I do get a chance to watch her show. In my opinion Tyra is a great role model for everyone especially teen girls. She brings real life issues that many people struggle with to her show. It helps the viewers since some people can relate to many of these issues and realize they are not alone. Tyra is a positive role model for all and even when she was "bashed" and plastered on the front cover of many magazines for being "overweight," she turned this into something positive on her show. It is sad to see the amount of racism out in the world but hopefully watching this episode can open the eyes of many people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you told me about this I was so appalled. Society has come so far in so many ways, yet we still hurt so many people. But I do agree with Melissa, I think this is a great example. Personally, I've never seen the show..but I think I'm going to look this one up!

    ReplyDelete