Thursday, January 14, 2010

I AM A CYBORG



I am a cyborg, no doubt about it. My daily routines and even physcially, I fit the profile. I rely so much on technology. If a forget my phone, I'm lost and in a terrible mood all day. My camera recently just broke and I hate it. My laptop just crashed last week (ya I tend to have bad luck) and it drove me insaneeeeee not having it. It's when you take these things away, that you come to realize how much of your life they overshadow. Even physcially, I wear glasses if not contacts. I had braces through all of high school. And to make myself sound even more robotic, I had my jaw broken in 4 places a year ago so I have 2 metal plates and 4 screws in my face hahaha. Ya, I'm a cyborg.


This reading, once thoroughly explained by Scott Pound in class, really is an eye opener. Yes, Donna Haraway is talking in extreme's, but she is not fair off base of reality with much of her idea's. I must note, I wanted to in class but I didn't really find the opportunity to bring it up, for anyone who actually read it I don't know about you but I LOVED the ending. I am a sucker for great, powerful endings, so she got me there. She wrote, "It means both building and destroying machines, identies, categories, relationships, space stars. Though both are bound in the spiral dance- I would rather be a cyborg than a goddess". Absolutely loved this ending. I am still trying to interpret it, but there is just something I love about it. Any comments?

4 comments:

  1. Haha Britt I had no idea you were so robotic. It's all so true though, that class was a real eye opener, especially when he said the thing about cell phones.
    On another note, I am glad I looked at your blog cuz i saw the same picture and liked it and was gunna post it haha.. guess not noowwww lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also feel so lost without my cell phone. I feel that I cannot contact people since I have no idea what their phone numbers are without my phone. Just in case anything were to ever happen with my phone, last week I wrote down all of the numbers ...I guess it was about time. I hope your luck changes soon. I've been told that bad things come in threes ... but then again I've been told that good things do as well .. well that seems to contradict itself. Although I have not broken my jaw, I am also a cyborg because I do wear glasses/contacts and I had braces during grades 11 and 12. We are all cyborgs in one way or another

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also a cyborg, though I never really thought about it before this class. I wear glasses and am attached to my cell phone as well. Then there is my lap top, that is always on! I agree with you that the ending was powerful, except I was so overwhelmed by the rest of the article that I did not pay too much attention to the end of the essay. I'm glad you brought it up, it is a really beautiful statement. If you think about it she is saying, she supports the breaking down of the binary opposites (not being a godess) and supports the new vision of not one or the other. ( I also really like the picture)

    ReplyDelete