Saturday, January 9, 2010

In a Cubby Full of Hate


This might seem a little off topic, but it is something I really wanted to write about. The other day I was working on an essay in a study cubby in the library. It happens more often than not, that I don't want to start writing and sit and stare and "brainstorm". Anyways, doing my "brainstorming" I started staring at the desk. And then at the side walls, and infront, and on the shelf. I knew that there was graffiti on the cubby, there always is, but I started reading what was being said. Not only did people write the most provocative and perverted comments about sex, and women, but there was so much negativity all over this cubby. One would write "Alex was here" and another would respond underneath it "Nobody cares Alex". Another note that inscripts, "Love sucks" with one underneath it saying, "It sure does, never try it". One of "KB & CL 4EVER" in a heart shape with a response underneath it, "Homo's". But the one that struck me the most was in small print, and it said " I am lonely", and beneath it wrote, "You're a fag". This may mean nothing to those who read it, simply graffiti 0f bored students, but it hit me emotionally. Looking at all this I couldn't help but think things over and over. This cubby allowed people to sit and express their deepest feelings of that very second, and atleast 90% were negative. Whether they were hatful, racist, sexist, homophobic, perverted, judgemental or simply lonely and afraid, human weakness was written all over the cubby, sitting right infront of me. Furthermore, if language shapes us here's a prime examlpe of it doing so. These negative comments displayed somehow give us the right to continue to add to them, mainly negatively. To maybe even take these idea's into the real world, that loves who are "lovey dovey" will be called "Homo's", meant as a shameful thing? That those who list the amount of women they have slept with will be high fived by others. And that those who tell someone "I am lonely" will be made fun of and teased, again with a homophobic comment of being a "fag". Some may say I have looked far too in depth of such grafitti but it is an expression of society, or yet how we shape society...?

5 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. I too get distracted while sitting in a cubby and find myself reading what others have written. Although someone may write something positive, it is not long after where someone else will turn it into something negative by making provocative comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean..you remind me of the high school bathroom stalls. These are also places where people reach out and are attacked or opposed for hurtful reasons. The sad thing is this is only a little part of the big hurt that goes on, especially in a smaller community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For sure. People mark emotions of their life, that may only seem like a small insignificant sentance but really, is this person abused? Is this person abandoned? Is this person in poverty? Or is this person feeling suicidal? It amazing how we can express ourselves so simply yet really, that one little sentance means so much mentally to that person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked this post. I don't know what else to say about it, it seems everyone else beat me to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It makes me so incredibly sad. There is so much ignorance and hatred in the world, even today when many of us are taught better...to be compassionate and empathetic and understand others despite their differences. Yet it continues.

    This was a beautiful and emotional post, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete