Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Homosexual Acts in a Patriarchal World

I had something to add to that, however I felt as though the topic was rather dragged on at the time and our professor wanted to more forth, as did I, and I remembered the blog!!! Excellent for throwing in left over thoughts. Someone brought up the idea that there was homosexuality in the Greek times, so how was it considered patriarchal? Time to throw in my feminist background, women studies is definality paying off. We learned that yes, homosexual activity among men did occur. Men would gather and it would be considered okay for them to be sexually active with one another. HOWEVER this is where I would like to boost what Dr. Pound was getting at today, that it is still patriarchical. For these men did not live with each other. They did not have marraiges between men, and build homes as "homosexual couples". They did not adopt children, and make a "family" from it. No, it was a manly act men performed in their genders privacy. Furthermore they left these meetings and went home to their wives that were kept on the 2nd floor of the house, where other men couldn't sleep with them. Here they were allowed to beat and control their wives and children. It was in the house where they kept their families, and the men were the one's allowed to travel outside the home, doing as they please. To conclude what I've presented, yes, there was homosexual acts in a patriarchical system.

3 comments:

  1. I was thinking the same thing during class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on! Yeah, one has to remember that yes, there was sexual acts occuring between men, BUT it was men's desire, and they controlled these acts. With this control, by no means were homosexual living relationships approved, little own sexual acts between females, would be unheard of. Which defends my point that yes there was homosexual acts, but homosexuality was not accepted. It can not be in patriarchy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking similar thoguhts aswell! I'm so glad someone said it:)

    ReplyDelete