Thursday, October 1, 2009

Am I Homo Seriosus or Homo Rhetoricus?

I hope everyone enjoy todays class as much as myself. I found it to be an interesting lesson, however what was learned was questionable. Yes, I definatly learned something though I may often look like I'm day dreaming away in class, though I feel like a lot of the topic is open ended? Some very logical views were brought up when we were asked to categorize ourselves as either homo seriosus (H.S) or homo rhetoicus (H.R), for as much as a consider myself a H.R, its not to say that I do not fall under the H.S category at all. I took a feminist route of steering away from the H.S group because as a woman why would I put myself in a category that discrimminates myself? And frankly does not apply to me on a GENDER level, little own logical level. However, I do not feel that I entirely fall under H.R on a logical level because I don't consider myself a "bullshitter". Someone in class seperated the two by referring to H.S as "I think therefor I am" and H.R as "I feel therefore I am", I greatly admired this comment in class, though now my opinion on it is that, isn't thinking, and feeling both major contributors to being human? One can not say they act 100% on what they think, because emotions and feelings are incorporated into our thought. Therefore I feel like that two have quite the invisible line between them, yes there are noticeable differences, but really don't people who are "people" apply to both? I'd love to hear some opinions!!!

1 comment:

  1. Completely unrelated, you should check out "An Aquaintance With Letters" blog if you haven't already. She mentions you lol. :)

    ReplyDelete