Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Some Jar, In which Field?

I think my highlight of Tuesday's class was definatly the Random Acts of Poetry!!! I loved it!! I think it's awesome that people go out on their own time and do such things! It's displaying a true love for literature, one that I think is completely self rewarding. Further more, the class discussion was also good, however I must say, I feel as though it's a difficult poem to conclude about (Shown in my post title). I mean really, the only way to know for sure is to sit Wallace Steven's down for coffee and ask him, imagine?! That would be pretty cool. But for the mean time, it's really an open ended answer. Maybe that's the beauty of it? Maybe some things are just better left unknown? But then again, being the structured human's we've come to be, we search for endlessly for meanings. I myself like answers, but now and then if I can not find one, I'm content with smiling, appreciating something for what it is, and moving on. I guess what I'm getting at here is that this is the type of poem where each person takes what this wish to from it. Which ever way you spin it, the poem turns into your own mental work, which makes Wallace Steven's look pretty clever. That's all for now!

2 comments:

  1. In another class, we were discussing the idea of the author as critic. The author sits down and writes something creatively, and they are generally unaware of what their creation actually has in it. When they make a statement about what is in their creation, they become just another critic among many. In this way, the interpretations of all critics, when backed up by what is in the text, become valid, not just the author's interpretations. This leads to your conclusion - that everyone can take what they want from this poem, because everyone's ideas are valid (when backed up by the text)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definatly! :)It was amazing how many different interpretations there was from a three stanza poem... haha the beauty of literature. Thanks for you comment!

    ReplyDelete